E-commerce websites can benefit from Multivariate (also known as A/B Split) Testing. This is essentially testing different versions of a webpage to see which performs better. There are tools like Google Website Optimizer and Google Analytics, which can help you with these tests.
If you own an e-commerce website, chances are you are looking for ways to increase conversion rates. One way to approach this is to pick a small subset of pages and do a multivariate test to see which versions of the page get you better results. The change could be as simple as using a different button or graphic to grab the visitor’s attention, or be completely different content or design structure.
The Official Google Blog posted a list of 25 ways you can use Google Website Optimizer to improve product pages. Here are 16 of their tips:
- Segment your visitors
- Set-up click-through funnels
- Analyze how your visitor and segments travel through the funnel
- Compare returning vs. new visitors
- Test different product images
- Test images of your product in-use, to static pictures
- Test the location of product images on product pages
- Test different versions of product descriptions
- Add customer reviews and testimonials to the page
- Test different placements and styles of “Add to Cart” buttons
- Test up-selling or cross promotion
- Test different product prices or sales/deals
- Display stock availability on page
- Add product feature and benefits lists
- Consider offering bundles or packages
- Offer free shipping
For the full list of product page 25 tips, and additional details about each one, visit the Official Google Website Optimizer Blog.